Online Dictionary: translate word or phrase from Indonesian to English or vice versa, and also from english to english on-line.
Hasil cari dari kata atau frase: To batten down the hatches(0.01013 detik)
Found 1 items, similar to To batten down the hatches.
English → English (gcide)
Definition: To batten down the hatches
Hatch \Hatch\, n. [OE. hacche, AS. h[ae]c, cf. haca the bar of a
door, D. hek gate, Sw. h["a]ck coop, rack, Dan. hekke manger,
rack. Prob. akin to E. hook, and first used of something made
of pieces fastened together. Cf. Heck, Hack a frame.]
1. A door with an opening over it; a half door, sometimes set
with spikes on the upper edge.
In at the window, or else o'er the hatch. --Shak.
2. A frame or weir in a river, for catching fish.
3. A flood gate; a sluice gate. --Ainsworth.
4. A bedstead. [Scot.] --Sir W. Scott.
5. An opening in the deck of a vessel or floor of a warehouse
which serves as a passageway or hoistway; a hatchway;
also; a cover or door, or one of the covers used in
closing such an opening.
6. (Mining) An opening into, or in search of, a mine.
Booby hatch, Buttery hatch, Companion hatch, etc. See
under Booby, Buttery, etc.
To batten down the hatches (Naut.), to lay tarpaulins over
them, and secure them with battens.
To be under hatches, to be confined below in a vessel; to
be under arrest, or in slavery, distress, etc.