Found 1 items, similar to Gar pike.
English → English
Definition: Gar pike
, n. [Prob. AS. g[=a]r dart, spear, lance. The name is
applied to the fish on account of its long and slender body
and pointed head. Cf. Goad
, v.] (Zo["o]l.)
(a) Any slender marine fish of the genera Belone
. See Garfish
(b) The gar pike. See Alligator gar
and Gar pike
, or Garpike
(Zo["o]l.), a large, elongated
ganoid fish of the genus Lepidosteus
, of several
species, inhabiting the lakes and rivers of temperate and
Gar pike \Gar" pike`\
or Garpike \Gar"pike`\
See under Gar
, n. [F. pique; perhaps of Celtic origin; cf. W. pig
a prick, a point, beak, Arm. pik pick. But cf. also L. picus
woodpecker (see Pie
magpie), and E. spike. Cf. Pick
, n. &
1. (Mil.) A foot soldier's weapon, consisting of a long
wooden shaft or staff, with a pointed steel head. It is
now superseded by the bayonet.
2. A pointed head or spike; esp., one in the center of a
shield or target. --Beau. & Fl.
3. A hayfork. [Obs. or Prov. Eng.] --Tusser.
4. A pick. [Prov. Eng.] --Wright. Raymond.
5. A pointed or peaked hill. [R.]
6. A large haycock. [Prov. Eng.] --Halliwell.
7. A turnpike; a toll bar. --Dickens.
8. (Zo["o]l.) sing. & pl. A large fresh-water fish (Esox lucius
), found in Europe and America, highly valued as a
food fish; -- called also pickerel
Note: Blue pike, grass pike, green pike, wall-eyed pike, and
yellow pike, are names, not of true pike, but of the
wall-eye. See Wall-eye
. See under Gar
(Zo["o]l.), any fresh-water fish of the genus
). See Wall-eye
, a long pole with a pike in one end, used in
directing floating logs.
(Zo["o]l.), a finback whale of the North
Atlantic (Bal[ae]noptera rostrata
), having an elongated
snout; -- called also piked whale
(Zo["o]l.), the lizard fish.
(Zo["o]l.), the garfish