Found 1 items, similar to Tube spinner.
English → English
Definition: Tube spinner
, n. [L. tubus; akin to tuba a trumpet: cf F. tube.]
1. A hollow cylinder, of any material, used for the
conveyance of fluids, and for various other purposes; a
2. A telescope. “Glazed optic tube.”
3. A vessel in animal bodies or plants, which conveys a fluid
or other substance.
4. (Bot.) The narrow, hollow part of a gamopetalous corolla.
5. (Gun.) A priming tube, or friction primer. See under
, and Friction
6. (Steam Boilers) A small pipe forming part of the boiler,
containing water and surrounded by flame or hot gases, or
else surrounded by water and forming a flue for the gases
to pass through.
(a) A more or less cylindrical, and often spiral, case
secreted or constructed by many annelids, crustaceans,
insects, and other animals, for protection or
concealment. See Illust. of Tubeworm
(b) One of the siphons of a bivalve mollusk.
8. (Elec. Railways) A tunnel for a tube railway; also
(Colloq.), a tube railway; a subway. [Chiefly Eng.]
Note: In the New York area, the subways running under the
Hudson River are sometimes referred to as the tube.
[Webster 1913 Suppl. +PJC]
, a tube of very fine bore. See Capillary
(Steam Boilers), a tube which forms a flue.
. (Zo["o]l.) Same as Tubipore
(Zo["o]l.), one of the ambulacral suckers of an
, or Tube sheet
(Steam Boilers), a flue plate.
See under Flue
(Mil.), a pouch containing priming tubes.
(Zo["o]l.), any one of various species of
spiders that construct tubelike webs. They belong to
, and allied genera.
(Steam Boilers), a tube containing water and
surrounded by flame or hot gases.