Found 3 items, similar to Rope.
English → Indonesian
English → English
n 1: a strong line
2: street names for flunitrazepan [syn: R-2
, Mexican valium
, forget me drug
v 1: catch with a lasso; “rope cows”
2: fasten with a rope; “rope the bag securely”
English → English
, v. t.
1. To bind, fasten, or tie with a rope or cord; as, to rope a
bale of goods. Hence:
2. To connect or fasten together, as a party of mountain
climbers, with a rope.
3. To partition, separate, or divide off, by means of a rope,
so as to include or exclude something; as, to rope in, or
rope off, a plot of ground; to rope out a crowd.
4. To lasso (a steer, horse). [Colloq. U.S.]
5. To draw, as with a rope; to entice; to inveigle; to decoy;
as, to rope in customers or voters. [Slang, U.S.]
6. To prevent from winning (as a horse), by pulling or
curbing. [Racing Slang, Eng.]
, n. [AS. r[=a]p; akin to D. reep, G. reif ring hoop,
Icel. reip rope, Sw. rep, Dan. reb, reeb Goth. skaudaraip
1. A large, stout cord, usually one not less than an inch in
circumference, made of strands twisted or braided
together. It differs from cord, line, and string, only in
its size. See Cordage
2. A row or string consisting of a number of things united,
as by braiding, twining, etc.; as, a rope of onions.
3. pl. The small intestines; as, the ropes of birds.
, a ladder made of ropes.
., a mat made of cordage, or strands of old rope.
Rope of sand
, something of no cohession or fiber; a feeble
union or tie; something not to be relied upon.
, a pump in which a rapidly running endless rope
raises water by the momentum communicated to the water by
its adhesion to the rope.
(Mach.), a method of transmitting power,
as between distant places, by means of endless ropes
running over grooved pulleys.
, a piece of rope; especially, one used as a lash
in inflicting punishment.
To give one rope
, to give one liberty or license; to let
one go at will uncheked.
, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Roped
; p. pr. & vb. n.
To be formed into rope; to draw out or extend into a filament
or thread, as by means of any glutinous or adhesive quality.
Let us not hang like ropingicicles
Upon our houses' thatch. --Shak.