Online Dictionary: translate word or phrase from Indonesian to English or vice versa, and also from english to english on-line.
Hasil cari dari kata atau frase: On the strength of (0.00968 detik)
Found 1 items, similar to On the strength of.
English → English
Definition: On the strength of
, n. [OE. strengthe, AS. streng[eth]u, fr.
strang strong. See Strong
1. The quality or state of being strong; ability to do or to
bear; capacity for exertion or endurance, whether
physical, intellectual, or moral; force; vigor; power; as,
strength of body or of the arm; strength of mind, of
memory, or of judgment.
All his [Samson's] strength in his hairs were.
Thou must outlive
Thy youth, thy strength, thy beauty. --Milton.
2. Power to resist force; solidity or toughness; the quality
of bodies by which they endure the application of force
without breaking or yielding; -- in this sense opposed to
; as, the strength of a bone, of a beam, of
a wall, a rope, and the like. “The brittle strength of
3. Power of resisting attacks; impregnability. “Our castle's
strength will laugh a siege to scorn.”
4. That quality which tends to secure results; effective
power in an institution or enactment; security; validity;
legal or moral force; logical conclusiveness; as, the
strength of social or legal obligations; the strength of
law; the strength of public opinion; strength of evidence;
strength of argument.
5. One who, or that which, is regarded as embodying or
affording force, strength, or firmness; that on which
confidence or reliance is based; support; security.
God is our refuge and strength. --Ps. xlvi. 1.
What they boded would be a mischief to us, you are
providing shall be one of our principal strengths.
Certainly there is not a greater strength against
temptation. --Jer. Taylor.
6. Force as measured; amount, numbers, or power of any body,
as of an army, a navy, and the like; as, what is the
strength of the enemy by land, or by sea?
7. Vigor or style; force of expression; nervous diction; --
said of literary work.
And praise the easy vigor of a life
Where Denham's strength and Waller's sweetness join.
8. Intensity; -- said of light or color.
Bright Ph[oe]bus in his strength. --Shak.
9. Intensity or degree of the distinguishing and essential
element; spirit; virtue; excellence; -- said of liquors,
solutions, etc.; as, the strength of wine or of acids.
10. A strong place; a stronghold. [Obs.] --Shak.
On the strength of
, or Upon the strength of
, in reliance
upon. “The allies, after a successful summer, are too
apt, upon the strength of it, to neglect their
preparations for the ensuing campaign.”
Syn: Force; robustness; toughness; hardness; stoutness;
brawniness; lustiness; firmness; puissance; support;
spirit; validity; authority. See Force