Online Dictionary: translate word or phrase from Indonesian to English or vice versa, and also from english to english on-line.
Hasil cari dari kata atau frase: Gorge hook (0.00858 detik)
Found 1 items, similar to Gorge hook.
English → English
Definition: Gorge hook
, n. [F. gorge, LL. gorgia, throat, narrow pass,
and gorga abyss, whirlpool, prob. fr. L. gurgea whirlpool,
gulf, abyss; cf. Skr. gargara whirlpool, g[.r] to devour. Cf.
1. The throat; the gullet; the canal by which food passes to
Wherewith he gripped her gorge with so great pain.
Now, how abhorred! . . . my gorge rises at it.
2. A narrow passage or entrance; as:
(a) A defile between mountains.
(b) The entrance into a bastion or other outwork of a
fort; -- usually synonymous with rear. See Illust. of
3. That which is gorged or swallowed, especially by a hawk or
And all the way, most like a brutish beast,
e spewed up his gorge, that all did him detest.
4. A filling or choking of a passage or channel by an
obstruction; as, an ice gorge in a river.
5. (Arch.) A concave molding; a cavetto. --Gwilt.
6. (Naut.) The groove of a pulley.
7. (Angling) A primitive device used instead of a fishhook,
consisting of an object easy to be swallowed but difficult
to be ejected or loosened, as a piece of bone or stone
pointed at each end and attached in the middle to a line.
[Webster 1913 Suppl.]
(Gearing), the outline of the smallest cross
section of a hyperboloid of revolution.
Circle of the gorge
(Math.), a minimum circle on a surface
of revolution, cut out by a plane perpendicular to the
, trolling with a dead bait on a double hook
which the fish is given time to swallow, or gorge.
, two fishhooks, separated by a piece of lead.
[1913 Webster + Webster 1913 Suppl.]