Online Dictionary: translate word or phrase from Indonesian to English or vice versa, and also from english to english on-line.
Hasil cari dari kata atau frase: Billet (0.00823 detik)
Found 3 items, similar to Billet.
English → Indonesian
English → English
n 1: a short personal letter; “drop me a line when you get there”
, short letter
2: lodging for military personnel (especially in a private
3: a job in an organization; “he occupied a post in the
v : provide housing for (military personnel) [syn: quarter
English → English
, n. [F. billette, bille, log; of unknown
origin; a different word from bille ball. Cf. Billiards
1. A small stick of wood, as for firewood.
They shall beat out my brains with billets. --Shak.
2. (Metal.) A short bar of metal, as of gold or iron.
3. (Arch.) An ornament in Norman work, resembling a billet of
wood either square or round.
(a) A strap which enters a buckle.
(b) A loop which receives the end of a buckled strap.
5. (Her.) A bearing in the form of an oblong rectangle.
[1913 Webster] ||
, n. [F. billet, dim. of an OF. bille bill. See
1. A small paper; a note; a short letter. “I got your
2. A ticket from a public officer directing soldiers at what
house to lodge; as, a billet of residence.
3. Quarters or place to which one is assigned, as by a billet
or ticket; berth; position. Also used fig. [Colloq.]
The men who cling to easy billets ashore. --Harper's
His shafts of satire fly straight to their billet,
and there they rankle. --Pall Mall
[Webster 1913 Suppl.]
, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Billeted
; p. pr. & vb.
.] [From Billet
a ticket.] (Mil.)
To direct, by a ticket or note, where to lodge. Hence: To
quarter, or place in lodgings, as soldiers in private houses.
Billeted in so antiquated a mansion. --W. Irving.