Found 3 items, similar to sovereign.
English → Indonesian
berdaulat, berkuasa, syah
English → English
adj 1: of political bodies; “an autonomous judiciary”
; “a sovereign
2: greatest in status or authority or power; “a supreme
n : a nation's ruler or head of state usually by hereditary
right [syn: crowned head
English → English
(? or ?; 277), a. [OE. soverain,
sovereyn, OF. soverain, suvrain, F. souverain, LL. superanus,
fr. L. superus that is above, upper, higher, fr. super above.
, and cf. Soprano
. The modern spelling
is due to a supposed connection with reign.]
1. Supreme or highest in power; superior to all others;
chief; as, our sovereign prince.
2. Independent of, and unlimited by, any other; possessing,
or entitled to, original authority or jurisdiction; as, a
sovereign state; a sovereign discretion.
3. Princely; royal. “Most sovereign name.”
At Babylon was his sovereign see. --Chaucer.
4. Predominant; greatest; utmost; paramount.
We acknowledge him [God] our sovereign good.
5. Efficacious in the highest degree; effectual; controlling;
as, a sovereign remedy. --Dryden.
Such a sovereign influence has this passion upon the
regulation of the lives and actions of men. --South.
, a state which administers its own
government, and is not dependent upon, or subject to,
(? or ?; 277), n.
1. The person, body, or state in which independent and
supreme authority is vested; especially, in a monarchy, a
king, queen, or emperor.
No question is to be made but that the bed of the
Mississippi belongs to the sovereign, that is, to
the nation. --Jefferson.
2. A gold coin of Great Britain, on which an effigy of the
head of the reigning king or queen is stamped, valued at
one pound sterling, or about $4.86.
3. (Zo["o]l.) Any butterfly of the tribe Nymphalidi
, as the ursula and the viceroy.
Syn: King; prince; monarch; potentate; emperor.