Found 1 items, similar to Swing beam.
English → English
Definition: Swing beam
1. The act of swinging; a waving, oscillating, or vibratory
motion of a hanging or pivoted object; oscillation; as,
the swing of a pendulum.
2. Swaying motion from one side or direction to the other;
as, some men walk with a swing.
3. A line, cord, or other thing suspended and hanging loose,
upon which anything may swing; especially, an apparatus
for recreation by swinging, commonly consisting of a rope,
the two ends of which are attached overhead, as to the
bough of a tree, a seat being placed in the loop at the
bottom; also, any contrivance by which a similar motion is
produced for amusement or exercise.
4. Influence of power of a body put in swaying motion.
The ram that batters down the wall,
For the great swing and rudeness of his poise,
They place before his hand that made the engine.
5. Capacity of a turning lathe, as determined by the diameter
of the largest object that can be turned in it.
6. Free course; unrestrained liberty or license; tendency.
“Take thy swing.”
To prevent anything which may prove an obstacle to
the full swing of his genius. --Burke.
. See under Full
(Railway Mach.), a crosspiece sustaining the car
body, and so suspended from the framing of a truck that it
may have an independent lateral motion.
, a form of drawbridge which swings
horizontally, as on a vertical pivot.
, or Swing plough
(a) A plow without a fore wheel under the beam.
(b) A reversible or sidehill plow.
(a) The scape-wheel in a clock, which drives the pendulum.
(b) The balance of a watch.