Found 1 items, similar to Owenia venosa.
English → English
Definition: Owenia venosa
, a. [Compar. Sourer
; superl. Sourest
sour, sur, AS. s?r; akin to D. zuur, G. sauer, OHG. s?r,
Icel. s?rr, Sw. sur, Dan. suur, Lith. suras salt, Russ.
surovui harsh, rough. Cf. Sorrel
, the plant.]
1. Having an acid or sharp, biting taste, like vinegar, and
the juices of most unripe fruits; acid; tart.
All sour things, as vinegar, provoke appetite.
2. Changed, as by keeping, so as to be acid, rancid, or
3. Disagreeable; unpleasant; hence; cross; crabbed; peevish;
morose; as, a man of a sour temper; a sour reply. “A sour
He was a scholar . . .
Lofty and sour to them that loved him not,
But to those men that sought him sweet as summer.
4. Afflictive; painful. “Sour adversity.”
5. Cold and unproductive; as, sour land; a sour marsh.
(Bot.), the gourdlike fruit Adansonia Gregorii
, and A. digitata
; also, either of the trees
bearing this fruit. See Adansonia
. See under Grape
(Bot.) See Turelo
(Bot.), the edible acid fruit of an Australian
tree (Owenia venosa
); also, the tree itself, which
furnished a hard reddish wood used by wheelwrights.
Syn: Acid; sharp; tart; acetous; acetose; harsh; acrimonious;
crabbed; currish; peevish.