Found 1 items, similar to soldier crab.
English → English
Definition: soldier crab
, n. [OE. ermite, eremite, heremit, heremite, F.
hermite, ermite, L. eremita, Gr. ?, fr. ? lonely, solitary.
1. A person who retires from society and lives in solitude; a
recluse; an anchoret; especially, one who so lives from
He had been Duke of Savoy, and after a very glorious
reign, took on him the habit of a hermit, and
retired into this solitary spot. --Addison.
2. A beadsman; one bound to pray for another. [Obs.] “We
rest your hermits.”
3. (Cookery) A spiced molasses cookie, often containing
chopped raisins and nuts.
[Webster 1913 Suppl.]
(Zo["o]l.), a marine decapod crustacean of the
. The species are numerous, and belong
to many genera. Called also soldier crab
. The hermit
crabs usually occupy the dead shells of various univalve
mollusks. See Illust. of Commensal
(Zo["o]l.), an American thrush (Turdus Pallasii
), with retiring habits, but having a sweet song.
(Zo["o]l.), a California wood warbler
), having the head yellow, the
throat black, and the back gray, with black streaks.
, n. [AS. fi[eth]elere.]
1. One who plays on a fiddle or violin.
2. (Zo["o]l.) A burrowing crab of the genus Gelasimus
many species. The male has one claw very much enlarged,
and often holds it in a position similar to that in which
a musician holds a fiddle, hence the name; -- called also
, calling crab
, soldier crab
3. (Zo["o]l.) The common European sandpiper (Tringoides hypoleucus
); -- so called because it continually
oscillates its body.
. (Zo["o]l.) See Fiddler
, n., 2.