Online Dictionary: translate word or phrase from Indonesian to English or vice versa, and also from english to english on-line.
Hasil cari dari kata atau frase: sluice(0.01628 detik)
Found 3 items, similar to sluice.
English → Indonesian (quick)
English → English (WordNet)
n : conduit that carries a rapid flow of water controlled by a
sluicegate [syn: sluiceway, penstock]
v 1: pour as if from a sluice; “An aggressive tide sluiced across
the barrier reef” [syn: sluice down]
2: irrigate with water from a sluice; “sluice the earth” [syn:
3: transport in or send down a sluice; “sluice logs”
4: draw through a sluice; “sluice water” English → English (gcide)
Sluice \Sluice\, n. [OF. escluse, F. ['e]cluse, LL. exclusa,
sclusa, from L. excludere, exclusum, to shut out: cf. D.
sluis sluice, from the Old French. See Exclude.]
1. An artifical passage for water, fitted with a valve or
gate, as in a mill stream, for stopping or regulating the
flow; also, a water gate or flood gate.
2. Hence, an opening or channel through which anything flows;
a source of supply.
Each sluice of affluent fortune opened soon.
This home familiarity . . . opens the sluices of
sensibility. --I. Taylor.
3. The stream flowing through a flood gate.
4. (Mining) A long box or trough through which water flows,
-- used for washing auriferous earth.
Sluice gate, the sliding gate of a sluice.
Sluice \Sluice\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Sluiced; p. pr. & vb. n.
1. To emit by, or as by, flood gates. [R.] --Milton.
2. To wet copiously, as by opening a sluice; as, to sluice
He dried his neck and face, which he had been
sluicing with cold water. --De Quincey.
3. To wash with, or in, a stream of water running through a
sluice; as, to sluice eart or gold dust in mining.