Online Dictionary: translate word or phrase from Indonesian to English or vice versa, and also from english to english on-line.
Hasil cari dari kata atau frase: shortening(0.01036 detik)
Found 3 items, similar to shortening.
English → Indonesian (quick)
English → English (WordNet)
n 1: fat such as butter or lard used in baked goods
2: act of decreasing in length; “the dress needs shortening” English → English (gcide)
Shortening \Short"en*ing\, n.
1. The act of making or becoming short or shorter.
2. (Cookery) That which renders pastry short or friable, as
butter, lard, etc.
Shorten \Short"en\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Shortened ?; p. pr. &
vb. n. Shortening.] [See Short, a.]
1. To make short or shorter in measure, extent, or time; as,
to shorten distance; to shorten a road; to shorten days of
2. To reduce or diminish in amount, quantity, or extent; to
lessen; to abridge; to curtail; to contract; as, to
shorten work, an allowance of food, etc.
Here, where the subject is so fruitful, I am
shortened by my chain. --Dryden.
3. To make deficient (as to); to deprive; -- with of.
Spoiled of his nose, and shortened of his ears.
4. To make short or friable, as pastry, with butter, lard,
pot liquor, or the like.
To shorten a rope (Naut.), to take in the slack of it.
To shorten sail (Naut.), to reduce sail by taking it in.