Online Dictionary: translate word or phrase from Indonesian to English or vice versa, and also from english to english on-line.
Hasil cari dari kata atau frase: narrow gauge (0.00922 detik)
Found 2 items, similar to narrow gauge.
English → English
Definition: narrow gauge
n : a railroad track (or its width) narrower than the standard
English → English
Definition: Narrow gauge
(n[a^]r"r[-o]), a. [Compar. Narrower
(n[a^]r"r[-o]*[~e]r); superl. Narrowest
.] [OE. narwe, naru,
AS. nearu; akin to OS. naru, naro.]
1. Of little breadth; not wide or broad; having little
distance from side to side; as, a narrow board; a narrow
street; a narrow hem.
Hath passed in safety through the narrow seas.
2. Of little extent; very limited; circumscribed.
The Jews were but a small nation, and confined to a
narrow compass in the world. --Bp. Wilkins.
3. Having but a little margin; having barely sufficient
space, time, or number, etc.; close; near; -- with
special reference to some peril or misfortune; as, a
narrow shot; a narrow escape; a narrow miss; a narrow
4. Limited as to means; straitened; pinching; as, narrow
5. Contracted; of limited scope; illiberal; bigoted; as, a
narrow mind; narrow views. “A narrow understanding.”
6. Parsimonious; niggardly; covetous; selfish.
A very narrow and stinted charity. --Smalridge.
7. Scrutinizing in detail; close; accurate; exact.
But first with narrow search I must walk round
This garden, and no corner leave unspied. --Milton.
8. (Phon.) Formed (as a vowel) by a close position of some
part of the tongue in relation to the palate; or
(according to Bell) by a tense condition of the pharynx;
-- distinguished from wide; as [=e] ([=e]ve) and [=oo]
(f[=oo]d), etc., from [i^] ([i^]ll) and [oo^] (f[oo^]t),
etc. See Guide to Pronunciation, [sect]13.
Note: Narrow is not unfrequently prefixed to words,
especially to participles and adjectives, forming
compounds of obvious signification; as,
narrow-bordered, narrow-brimmed, narrow-breasted,
narrow-edged, narrow-faced, narrow-headed,
narrow-leaved, narrow-pointed, narrow-souled,
. (Railroad) See Note under Gauge
, n., 6.