Online Dictionary: translate word or phrase from Indonesian to English or vice versa, and also from english to english on-line.
Hasil cari dari kata atau frase: mordant(0.01121 detik)
Found 2 items, similar to mordant.
English → English (WordNet)
adj : harshly ironic or sinister; “black humor”; “a grim joke”;
“grim laughter”; “fun ranging from slapstick clowning
... to savage mordant wit” [syn: black, grim]
n : a substance used to treat leather or other materials before
dyeing; aids in dyeing process
English → English (gcide)
Mordant \Mor"dant\, a. [F., p. pr. of mordere to bite; L.
mordere. See Morsel.]
1. Biting; caustic; sarcastic; keen; severe.
2. (Dyeing & Calico Printing) Serving to fix colors.
Mordant \Mor"dant\, n. [F., originally, biting.]
1. Any corroding substance used in etching.
2. (Dyeing & Calico Printing) Any substance, as alum or
copperas, which, having a twofold attraction for organic
fibers and coloring matter, serves as a bond of union, and
thus gives fixity to, or bites in, the dyes.
3. (Gilding) Any sticky matter by which the gold leaf is made
Mordant \Mor"dant\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Mordanted; p. pr. &
vb. n. Mordanting.]
To subject to the action of, or imbue with, a mordant; as, to
mordant goods for dyeing.