Online Dictionary: translate word or phrase from Indonesian to English or vice versa, and also from english to english on-line.
Hasil cari dari kata atau frase: lowering(0.01147 detik)
Found 3 items, similar to lowering.
English → Indonesian (quick)
English → English (WordNet)
adj : darkened by clouds; “a heavy sky” [syn: heavy, sullen, threatening]
n 1: the act of causing to become less
2: the act of causing something to move to a lower level [syn:
English → English (gcide)
Lower \Low"er\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Lowered; p. pr. & vb. n.
Lowering.] [From Low, a.]
1. To let descend by its own weight, as something suspended;
to let down; as, to lower a bucket into a well; to lower a
sail or a boat; sometimes, to pull down; as, to lower a
Lowered softly with a threefold cord of love
Down to a silent grave. --Tennyson.
2. To reduce the height of; as, to lower a fence or wall; to
lower a chimney or turret.
3. To depress as to direction; as, to lower the aim of a gun;
to make less elevated as to object; as, to lower one's
ambition, aspirations, or hopes.
4. To reduce the degree, intensity, strength, etc., of; as,
to lower the temperature of anything; to lower one's
vitality; to lower distilled liquors.
5. To bring down; to humble; as, to lower one's pride.
6. To reduce in value, amount, etc.; as, to lower the price
of goods, the rate of interest, etc.
Lowering \Low"er*ing\, a.
Dark and threatening; gloomy; sullen; as, lowering clouds or
Lower \Low"er\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Lowered; p. pr. & vb. n.
Lowering.] [OE. lowren, luren; cf. D. loeren, LG. luren. G.
lauern to lurk, to be on the watch, and E. leer, lurk.]
1. To be dark, gloomy, and threatening, as clouds; to be
covered with dark and threatening clouds, as the sky; to
show threatening signs of approach, as a tempest.
All the clouds that lowered upon our house. --Shak.
2. To frown; to look sullen.
But sullen discontent sat lowering on her face.