Found 1 items, similar to lift lock.
English → English
Definition: lift lock
, n. [AS. loc inclosure, an inclosed place, the
fastening of a door, fr. l[=u]can to lock, fasten; akin to
OS. l[=u]kan (in comp.), D. luiken, OHG. l[=u]hhan, Icel.
l[=u]ka, Goth. l[=u]kan (in comp.); cf. Skr. ruj to break.
1. Anything that fastens; specifically, a fastening, as for a
door, a lid, a trunk, a drawer, and the like, in which a
bolt is moved by a key so as to hold or to release the
2. A fastening together or interlacing; a closing of one
thing upon another; a state of being fixed or immovable.
Albemarle Street closed by a lock of carriages. --De
3. A place from which egress is prevented, as by a lock.
4. The barrier or works which confine the water of a stream
5. An inclosure in a canal with gates at each end, used in
raising or lowering boats as they pass from one level to
another; -- called also lift lock
6. That part or apparatus of a firearm by which the charge is
exploded; as, a matchlock, flintlock, percussion lock,
7. A device for keeping a wheel from turning.
8. A grapple in wrestling. --Milton.
, a lock containing a contrivance for showing
whether it as has been tampered with.
(Canals), the body of water in a lock chamber.
, the inclosed space between the gates of a
. See Check nut
, under Check
, a plate to which the mechanism of a gunlock is
(Arch.), in ordinary paneled doors, the rail
nearest the lock.
(Masonry), a range of bond stone. --Knight.
, a door lock inserted in a mortise.
, a lock fastened to the face of a door, thus
differing from a mortise lock