Online Dictionary: translate word or phrase from Indonesian to English or vice versa, and also from english to english on-line.
Hasil cari dari kata atau frase: latitudinarian(0.01678 detik)
Found 2 items, similar to latitudinarian.
English → English (WordNet)
adj : unwilling to accept authority or dogma (especially in
religion) [syn: free-thinking, undogmatic, undogmatical]
n : a person who is broad-minded and tolerant (especially in
standards of religious belief and conduct)
English → English (gcide)
Latitudinarian \Lat`i*tu`di*na"ri*an\, n.
1. One who is moderate in his notions, or not restrained by
precise settled limits in opinion; one who indulges
freedom in thinking.
2. (Eng. Eccl. Hist.) A member of the Church of England, in
the time of Charles II., who adopted more liberal notions
in respect to the authority, government, and doctrines of
the church than generally prevailed.
They were called “men of latitude;” and upon this,
men of narrow thoughts fastened upon them the name
of latitudinarians. --Bp. Burnet.
3. (Theol.) One who departs in opinion from the strict
principles of orthodoxy.
Latitudinarian \Lat`i*tu`di*na"ri*an\, a. [Cf. F.
1. Not restrained; not confined by precise limits.
2. Indifferent to a strict application of any standard of
belief or opinion; hence, deviating more or less widely
from such standard; lax in doctrine; as, latitudinarian
divines; latitudinarian theology.
Latitudinarian sentiments upon religious subjects.
3. Lax in moral or religious principles.