Online Dictionary: translate word or phrase from Indonesian to English or vice versa, and also from english to english on-line.
Hasil cari dari kata atau frase: elect(0.01104 detik)
Found 3 items, similar to elect.
English → Indonesian (quick)
English → English (WordNet)
adj 1: selected as the best; “an elect circle of artists”; “elite
colleges” [syn: elite]
2: elected but not yet installed in office; “the president
elect” [syn: elect(ip)]
n : an exclusive group of people; “one of the elect who have
power inside the government” [syn: chosen]
v 1: select by a vote for an office or membership; “We elected
him chairman of the board”
2: choose; “I elected to have my funds deposited automatically” English → English (gcide)
Elect \E*lect"\, n.
1. One chosen or set apart.
Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in
whom my soul delighteth. --Is. xlii. 1.
2. pl. (Theol.) Those who are chosen for salvation.
Shall not God avenge his won elect? --Luke xviii.
Elect \E*lect"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Elected; p. pr. & vb. n.
1. To pick out; to select; to choose.
The deputy elected by the Lord. --Shak.
2. To select or take for an office; to select by vote; as, to
elect a representative, a president, or a governor.
3. (Theol.) To designate, choose, or select, as an object of
mercy or favor.
Syn: To choose; prefer; select. See Choose.
Elect \E*lect"\, a. [L. electus, p. p. of eligere to elect; e
out + legere to choose. See Legend, and cf. Elite,
1. Chosen; taken by preference from among two or more.
“Colors quaint elect.” --Spenser.
2. (Theol.) Chosen as the object of mercy or divine favor;
set apart to eternal life. “The elect angels.” --1 Tim.
3. Chosen to an office, but not yet actually inducted into
it; as, bishop elect; governor or mayor elect.