Online Dictionary: translate word or phrase from Indonesian to English or vice versa, and also from english to english on-line.
Hasil cari dari kata atau frase: connecting train (0.00833 detik)
Found 1 items, similar to connecting train.
English → English
Definition: connecting train
, n. [Cf. Connexion
1. The act of connecting, or the state of being connected;
the act or process of bringing two things into contact;
junction; union; as, the connection between church and
state is inescapable; the connection of pipes of different
diameters requires an adapter.
Syn: link, connectedness.
2. That which connects or joins together; bond; tie.
3. any relationship between things or events; association;
alliance; as, a causal connection between interest rates
and stock prices.
He [Algazel] denied the possibility of a known
connection between cause and effect. --Whewell.
The eternal and inseparable connection between
virtue and happiness. --Atterbury.
Any sort of connection which is perceived or
imagined between two or more things. --I. Taylor.
4. A relation; esp. a person connected with another by
marriage rather than by blood; -- used in a loose and
indefinite, and sometimes a comprehensive, sense.
4. The persons or things that are connected; as, a business
connection; the Methodist connection.
Men elevated by powerful connection. --Motley.
At the head of a strong parliamentary connection.
Whose names, forces, connections, and characters
were perfectly known to him. --Macaulay.
5. something that connects other objects.
Syn: connexion, connector, connecter, connective.
6. (usually plural) an acquaintance or acquaintances who are
influential or in a position of power and to whom you are
connected in some way (as by family or friendship); as, he
has powerful connections.
7. a communications channel; as, my cell phone had a bad
8. (Transportation) a vehicle in which one may continue a
journey after debarking from another vehicle; the
departing vehicle of a connection
; as, my connection
leaves four hours after my arrival; I missed my
Note: A connection may be more specifically referred to as a
, a connecting train
9. (Transportation) the scheduled arrival of one vehicle and
departure of a second, sufficiently close in time and
place to allow the departing vehicle serve as a means of
continuing a journey begun or continued in the first
vehicle; as, we can get a connection at Newark to continue
on to Paris; -- most commonly used of airplanes, trains,
and buses arriving and departing at the same terminal.
10. (Transportation) the transfer of a passenger from one
vehicle to another to continue a journey; as, the
connection was made in Copenhagen; -- most commonly of
scheduled transportation on common carriers.
11. (Commerce) a vendor who can supply desired materials at a
favorable price, or under conditions when other sources
are unavailable; as, to get a bargain from one's
connection in the jewelry trade; to have connections for
the purchase of marijuana; -- often used in the pl..
12. (Psychol.) the process of bringing ideas or events
together in memory or imagination.
Syn: association, connection, connexion.
In this connection
, in connection with this subject.
Note: [A phrase objected to by some writers.]
Note: This word was formerly written, as by Milton, with x
instead of t in the termination, connexion, and the
same thing is true of the kindred words inflexion,
reflexion, and the like. But the general usage at
present is to spell them connection, inflection,
Syn: Union; coherence; continuity; junction; association;
dependence; intercourse; commerce; communication;