Found 2 items, similar to cold chisel.
English → English
Definition: cold chisel
n : narrow chisel made of steel; used to cut stone or bricks
[syn: set chisel
English → English
Definition: Cold chisel
, n. [OF. chisel, F. ciseau, fr. LL. cisellus,
prob. for caesellus, fr. L. caesus, p. p. of caedere to cut.
A tool with a cutting edge on one end of a metal blade, used
in dressing, shaping, or working in timber, stone, metal,
etc.; -- usually driven by a mallet or hammer.
. See under Cold
(k[=o]ld), a. [Compar. Colder
.] [OE. cold, cald, AS. cald, ceald; akin to OS.
kald, D. koud, G. kalt, Icel. kaldr, Dan. kold, Sw. kall,
Goth. kalds, L. gelu frost, gelare to freeze. Orig. p. p. of
AS. calan to be cold, Icel. kala to freeze. Cf. Cool
1. Deprived of heat, or having a low temperature; not warm or
hot; gelid; frigid. “The snowy top of cold Olympis.”
2. Lacking the sensation of warmth; suffering from the
absence of heat; chilly; shivering; as, to be cold.
3. Not pungent or acrid. “Cold plants.”
4. Wanting in ardor, intensity, warmth, zeal, or passion;
spiritless; unconcerned; reserved.
A cold and unconcerned spectator. --T. Burnet.
No cold relation is a zealous citizen. --Burke.
5. Unwelcome; disagreeable; unsatisfactory. “Cold news for
me.” “Cold comfort.”
6. Wanting in power to excite; dull; uninteresting.
What a deal of cold business doth a man misspend the
better part of life in! --B. Jonson.
The jest grows cold . . . when in comes on in a
second scene. --Addison.
7. Affecting the sense of smell (as of hunting dogs) but
feebly; having lost its odor; as, a cold scent.
8. Not sensitive; not acute.
Smell this business with a sense as cold
As is a dead man's nose. --Shak.
9. Distant; -- said, in the game of hunting for some object,
of a seeker remote from the thing concealed.
10. (Paint.) Having a bluish effect. Cf. Warm
. See under Abscess
See under Blast
, n., 2.
. See under Blood
, n., 8.
, an ague fit. --Wright.
, a chisel of peculiar strength and hardness,
for cutting cold metal. --Weale.
. See under Cream
. See Cole slaw
In cold blood
, without excitement or passion; deliberately.
He was slain in cold blood after the fight was over.
To give one the cold shoulder
, to treat one with neglect.
Syn: Gelid; bleak; frigid; chill; indifferent; unconcerned;
passionless; reserved; unfeeling; stoical.