Online Dictionary: translate word or phrase from Indonesian to English or vice versa, and also from english to english on-line.
Hasil cari dari kata atau frase: To point the yards (0.00816 detik)
Found 1 items, similar to To point the yards.
English → English
Definition: To point the yards
(point), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Pointed
; p. pr. &
vb. n. Pointing
.] [Cf. F. pointer. See Point
1. To give a point to; to sharpen; to cut, forge, grind, or
file to an acute end; as, to point a dart, or a pencil.
Used also figuratively; as, to point a moral.
2. To direct toward an abject; to aim; as, to point a gun at
a wolf, or a cannon at a fort.
3. Hence, to direct the attention or notice of.
Whosoever should be guided through his battles by
Minerva, and pointed to every scene of them. --Pope.
4. To supply with punctuation marks; to punctuate; as, to
point a composition.
5. To mark (a text, as in Arabic or Hebrew) with vowel points
; -- also called vocalize
Syn: vocalize. [1913 Webster + RP]
6. To give particular prominence to; to designate in a
special manner; to indicate, as if by pointing; as, the
error was pointed out. --Pope.
He points it, however, by no deviation from his
straightforward manner of speech. --Dickens.
7. To indicate or discover by a fixed look, as game.
8. (Masonry) To fill up and finish the joints of (a wall), by
introducing additional cement or mortar, and bringing it
to a smooth surface.
9. (Stone Cutting) To cut, as a surface, with a pointed tool.
To point a rope
(Naut.), to taper and neatly finish off the
end by interweaving the nettles.
To point a sail
(Naut.), to affix points through the eyelet
holes of the reefs.
To point off
, to divide into periods or groups, or to
separate, by pointing, as figures.
To point the yards
(of a vessel) (Naut.), to brace them so
that the wind shall strike the sails obliquely. --Totten.