Online Dictionary: translate word or phrase from Indonesian to English or vice versa, and also from english to english on-line.
Hasil cari dari kata atau frase: To lap timbers (0.00841 detik)
Found 1 items, similar to To lap timbers.
English → English
Definition: To lap timbers
, v. t. [OE. lappen to fold (see Lap
, n.); cf. also
OE. wlappen, perh. another form of wrappen, E, wrap.]
1. To fold; to bend and lay over or on something; as, to lap
a piece of cloth.
2. To wrap or wind around something.
About the paper . . . I lapped several times a
slender thread of very black silk. --Sir I.
3. To infold; to hold as in one's lap; to cherish.
Her garment spreads, and laps him in the folds.
4. To lay or place over anything so as to partly or wholly
cover it; as, to lap one shingle over another; to lay
together one partly over another; as, to lap
weather-boards; also, to be partly over, or by the side of
(something); as, the hinder boat lapped the foremost one.
5. (Carding & Spinning) To lay together one over another, as
fleeces or slivers for further working.
To lap boards
, etc., to lay one partly over
To lap timbers
, to unite them in such a way as to preserve
the same breadth and depth throughout, as by scarfing.