Online Dictionary: translate word or phrase from Indonesian to English or vice versa, and also from english to english on-line.
Hasil cari dari kata atau frase: To elevate a piece (0.00728 detik)
Found 1 items, similar to To elevate a piece.
English → English
Definition: To elevate a piece
, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Elevated
; p. pr. &
vb. n. Elevating
.] [L. elevatus, p. p. of elevare; e +
levare to lift up, raise, akin to levis light in weight. See
1. To bring from a lower place to a higher; to lift up; to
raise; as, to elevate a weight, a flagstaff, etc.
2. To raise to a higher station; to promote; as, to elevate
to an office, or to a high social position.
3. To raise from a depressed state; to animate; to cheer; as,
to elevate the spirits.
4. To exalt; to ennoble; to dignify; as, to elevate the mind
5. To raise to a higher pitch, or to a greater degree of
loudness; -- said of sounds; as, to elevate the voice.
6. To intoxicate in a slight degree; to render tipsy.
[Colloq. & Sportive] “The elevated cavaliers sent for two
tubs of merry stingo.”
--Sir W. Scott.
7. To lessen; to detract from; to disparage. [A Latin
meaning] [Obs.] --Jer. Taylor.
To elevate a piece
(Gun.), to raise the muzzle; to lower
Syn: To exalt; dignify; ennoble; erect; raise; hoist;
heighten; elate; cheer; flush; excite; animate.