Online Dictionary: translate word or phrase from Indonesian to English or vice versa, and also from english to english on-line.
Hasil cari dari kata atau frase: To be at a loss (0.00923 detik)
Found 1 items, similar to To be at a loss.
English → English
Definition: To be at a loss
(l[o^]s; 115), n. [AS. los loss, losing, fr.
le['o]san to lose. [root]127. See Lose
, v. t.]
1. The act of losing; failure; destruction; privation; as,
the loss of property; loss of money by gaming; loss of
health or reputation.
Assured loss before the match be played. --Shak.
2. The state of losing or having lost; the privation, defect,
misfortune, harm, etc., which ensues from losing.
Though thou repent, yet I have still the loss.
3. That which is lost or from which one has parted; waste; --
opposed to gain
; as, the loss of liquor by
leakage was considerable.
4. The state of being lost or destroyed; especially, the
wreck or foundering of a ship or other vessel.
5. Failure to gain or win; as, loss of a race or battle.
6. Failure to use advantageously; as, loss of time.
7. (Mil.) Killed, wounded, and captured persons, or captured
8. (Insurance) Destruction or diminution of value, if brought
about in a manner provided for in the insurance contract
(as destruction by fire or wreck, damage by water or
smoke), or the death or injury of an insured person; also,
the sum paid or payable therefor; as, the losses of the
company this year amount to a million of dollars.
To bear a loss
, to make a loss good; also, to sustain a
loss without sinking under it.
To be at a loss
, to be in a state of uncertainty.
Syn: Privation; detriment; injury; damage.