Found 1 items, similar to The fair sex.
English → English
Definition: The fair sex
(f[^a]r), a. [Compar. Fairer
; superl. Fairest
[OE. fair, fayer, fager, AS. f[ae]ger; akin to OS. & OHG.
fagar, Icel. fagr, Sw. fager, Dan. faver, Goth. fagrs fit,
also to E. fay, G. f["u]gen, to fit. fegen to sweep, cleanse,
and prob. also to E. fang, peace, pact, Cf. Fang
1. Free from spots, specks, dirt, or imperfection;
unblemished; clean; pure.
A fair white linen cloth. --Book of
2. Pleasing to the eye; handsome; beautiful.
Who can not see many a fair French city, for one
fair French made. --Shak.
3. Without a dark hue; light; clear; as, a fair skin.
The northern people large and fair-complexioned.
--Sir M. Hale.
4. Not overcast; cloudless; clear; pleasant; propitious;
favorable; -- said of the sky, weather, or wind, etc.; as,
a fair sky; a fair day.
You wish fair winds may waft him over. --Prior.
5. Free from obstacles or hindrances; unobstructed;
unincumbered; open; direct; -- said of a road, passage,
etc.; as, a fair mark; in fair sight; a fair view.
The caliphs obtained a mighty empire, which was in a
fair way to have enlarged. --Sir W.
6. (Shipbuilding) Without sudden change of direction or
curvature; smooth; flowing; -- said of the figure of a
vessel, and of surfaces, water lines, and other lines.
7. Characterized by frankness, honesty, impartiality, or
candor; open; upright; free from suspicion or bias;
equitable; just; -- said of persons, character, or
conduct; as, a fair man; fair dealing; a fair statement.
“I would call it fair play.”
8. Pleasing; favorable; inspiring hope and confidence; --
said of words, promises, etc.
When fair words and good counsel will not prevail on
us, we must be frighted into our duty. --L'
9. Distinct; legible; as, fair handwriting.
10. Free from any marked characteristic; average; middling;
as, a fair specimen.
The news is very fair and good, my lord. --Shak.
(a) A ball passing over the home base at the height
called for by the batsman, and delivered by the
pitcher while wholly within the lines of his position
and facing the batsman.
(b) A batted ball that falls inside the foul lines; --
called also a fair hit
(a) The European pilchard (Clupea pilchardus
(b) The southern scup (Stenotomus Gardeni
, a handsome woman; a beauty,
, equitable or impartial treatment; a fair or
equal chance; justice.
From fair to middling
, passable; tolerable. [Colloq.]
The fair sex
, the female sex.
Syn: Candid; open; frank; ingenuous; clear; honest;
equitable; impartial; reasonable. See Candid