Online Dictionary: translate word or phrase from Indonesian to English or vice versa, and also from english to english on-line.
Hasil cari dari kata atau frase: Tension rod (0.01841 detik)
Found 1 items, similar to Tension rod.
English → English
Definition: Tension rod
, n. [L. tensio, from tendere, tensum, to
stretch: cf. F. tension. See Tense
1. The act of stretching or straining; the state of being
stretched or strained to stiffness; the state of being
bent strained; as, the tension of the muscles, tension of
2. Fig.: Extreme strain of mind or excitement of feeling;
3. The degree of stretching to which a wire, cord, piece of
timber, or the like, is strained by drawing it in the
direction of its length; strain. --Gwilt.
4. (Mech.) The force by which a part is pulled when forming
part of any system in equilibrium or in motion; as, the
tension of a srting supporting a weight equals that
5. A device for checking the delivery of the thread in a
sewing machine, so as to give the stitch the required
degree of tightness.
6. (Physics) Expansive force; the force with which the
particles of a body, as a gas, tend to recede from each
other and occupy a larger space; elastic force;
elasticity; as, the tension of vapor; the tension of air.
7. (Elec.) The quality in consequence of which an electric
charge tends to discharge itself, as into the air by a
spark, or to pass from a body of greater to one of less
electrical potential. It varies as the quantity of
electricity upon a given area.
, or Tension member
(Engin.), a brace or
member designed to resist tension, or subjected to
tension, in a structure.
(Engin.), an iron rod used as a tension member
to strengthen timber or metal framework, roofs, or the