Found 3 items, similar to Swell.
English → Indonesian
alun, bengkak, gelombang besar, hebat, membengkak, mengampul
English → English
v 1: increase in size, magnitude, number, or intensity; “The
music swelled to a crescendo”
2: become filled with pride, arrogance, or anger; “The mother
was swelling with importance when she spoke of her son”
[syn: puff up
3: expand abnormally; “The bellies of the starving children are
[syn: swell up
4: as of feelings and thoughts, or other ephemeral things;
“Strong emotions welled up”
; “Smoke swelled from it”
5: come up; “Tears well in her eyes”
6: cause to become swollen; “The water swells the wood”
adj : very good; “he did a bully job”
; “a neat sports car”
; “had a
great time at the party”
; “you look simply smashing”
, not bad(p)
n 1: the undulating movement of the surface of the open sea [syn:
2: a rounded elevation (especially one on an ocean floor)
3: a crescendo followed by a decrescendo
4: a man who is much concerned with his dress and appearance
English → English
, v. i. [imp. Swelled
; p. p. Swelled
; p. pr. & vb. n. Swelling
.] [AS. swellan; akin to
D. zwellen, OS. & OHG. swellan, G. schwellen, Icel. svella,
1. To grow larger; to dilate or extend the exterior surface
or dimensions, by matter added within, or by expansion of
the inclosed substance; as, the legs swell in dropsy; a
bruised part swells; a bladder swells by inflation.
2. To increase in size or extent by any addition; to increase
in volume or force; as, a river swells, and overflows its
banks; sounds swell or diminish.
3. To rise or be driven into waves or billows; to heave; as,
in tempest, the ocean swells into waves.
4. To be puffed up or bloated; as, to swell with pride.
You swell at the tartan, as the bull is said to do
at scarlet. --Sir W.
5. To be inflated; to belly; as, the sails swell.
6. To be turgid, bombastic, or extravagant; as, swelling
words; a swelling style.
7. To protuberate; to bulge out; as, a cask swells in the
8. To be elated; to rise arrogantly.
Your equal mind yet swells not into state. --Dryden.
9. To grow upon the view; to become larger; to expand.
“Monarchs to behold the swelling scene!”
10. To become larger in amount; as, many little debts added,
swell to a great amount.
11. To act in a pompous, ostentatious, or arrogant manner; to
strut; to look big.
Here he comes, swelling like a turkey cock. --Shak.
, v. t.
1. To increase the size, bulk, or dimensions of; to cause to
rise, dilate, or increase; as, rains and dissolving snow
swell the rivers in spring; immigration swells the
[The Church] swells her high, heart-cheering tone.
2. To aggravate; to heighten.
It is low ebb with his accuser when such
peccadilloes are put to swell the charge.
3. To raise to arrogance; to puff up; to inflate; as, to be
swelled with pride or haughtiness.
4. (Mus.) To augment gradually in force or loudness, as the
sound of a note.
1. The act of swelling.
2. Gradual increase. Specifically:
(a) Increase or augmentation in bulk; protuberance.
(b) Increase in height; elevation; rise.
Little River affords navigation during a swell
to within three miles of the Miami. --Jefferson.
(c) Increase of force, intensity, or volume of sound.
Music arose with its voluptuous swell. --Byron.
(d) Increase of power in style, or of rhetorical force.
The swell and subsidence of his periods.
3. A gradual ascent, or rounded elevation, of land; as, an
extensive plain abounding with little swells.
4. A wave, or billow; especially, a succession of large
waves; the roll of the sea after a storm; as, a heavy
swell sets into the harbor.
Of the long waves that roll in yonder bay.
The gigantic swells and billows of the snow.
5. (Mus.) A gradual increase and decrease of the volume of
sound; the crescendo and diminuendo combined; -- generally
indicated by the sign.
6. A showy, dashing person; a dandy. [Slang]
. See under Ground
(Mus.), a certain number of pipes inclosed in a
box, the uncovering of which by means of a pedal produces
(Zo["o]l.), a small shark (Scyllium ventricosum
) of the west coast of North America, which
takes in air when caught, and swells up like a swellfish.
Having the characteristics of a person of rank and
importance; showy; dandified; distinguished; as, a swell
person; a swell neighborhood. [Slang]
. See under Mob