Found 1 items, similar to Sucker tube.
English → English
Definition: Sucker tube
1. One who, or that which, sucks; esp., one of the organs by
which certain animals, as the octopus and remora, adhere
to other bodies.
2. A suckling; a sucking animal. --Beau. & Fl.
3. The embolus, or bucket, of a pump; also, the valve of a
pump basket. --Boyle.
4. A pipe through which anything is drawn.
5. A small piece of leather, usually round, having a string
attached to the center, which, when saturated with water
and pressed upon a stone or other body having a smooth
surface, adheres, by reason of the atmospheric pressure,
with such force as to enable a considerable weight to be
thus lifted by the string; -- used by children as a
6. (Bot.) A shoot from the roots or lower part of the stem of
a plant; -- so called, perhaps, from diverting nourishment
from the body of the plant.
(a) Any one of numerous species of North American
fresh-water cyprinoid fishes of the family
; so called because the lips are
protrusile. The flesh is coarse, and they are of
little value as food. The most common species of the
Eastern United States are the northern sucker
), the white sucker (C. teres
), the hog sucker (C. nigricans
), and the
chub, or sweet sucker (Erimyzon sucetta
). Some of
the large Western species are called buffalo fish
, black horse
, and suckerel
(b) The remora.
(c) The lumpfish.
(d) The hagfish, or myxine.
(e) A California food fish (Menticirrus undulatus
closely allied to the kingfish
(a); -- called also bagre
8. A parasite; a sponger. See def. 6, above.
They who constantly converse with men far above
their estates shall reap shame and loss thereby; if
thou payest nothing, they will count thee a sucker,
no branch. --Fuller.
9. A hard drinker; a soaker. [Slang]
10. A greenhorn; someone easily cheated, gulled, or deceived.
11. A nickname applied to a native of Illinois. [U. S.]
12. A person strongly attracted to something; -- usually used
with for; as, he's a sucker for tall blondes.
11. Any thing or person; -- usually implying annoyance or
dislike; as, I went to change the blade and cut my finger
on the sucker. [Slang]
, Cherry sucker
, etc. See under Carp
. See Sucking fish
, under Sucking
, a pump rod. See under Pump
(Zo["o]l.), one of the external ambulacral
tubes of an echinoderm, -- usually terminated by a sucker
and used for locomotion. Called also sucker foot