Online Dictionary: translate word or phrase from Indonesian to English or vice versa, and also from english to english on-line.
Hasil cari dari kata atau frase: Standard bearer(0.01269 detik)
Found 1 items, similar to Standard bearer.
English → English (gcide)
Definition: Standard bearer
Standard \Stand"ard\ (-[~e]rd), n. [OF. estendart, F.
['e]tendard, probably fr. L. extendere to spread out, extend,
but influenced by E. stand. See Extend.]
1. A flag; colors; a banner; especially, a national or other
His armies, in the following day,
On those fair plains their standards proud display.
2. That which is established by authority as a rule for the
measure of quantity, extent, value, or quality; esp., the
original specimen weight or measure sanctioned by
government, as the standard pound, gallon, or yard.
3. That which is established as a rule or model by authority,
custom, or general consent; criterion; test.
The court, which used to be the standard of
propriety and correctness of speech. --Swift.
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to
improve, taken together, would be my standard of a
4. (Coinage) The proportion of weights of fine metal and
alloy established by authority.
By the present standard of the coinage, sixty-two
shillings is coined out of one pound weight of
5. (Hort.) A tree of natural size supported by its own stem,
and not dwarfed by grafting on the stock of a smaller
species nor trained upon a wall or trellis.
In France part of their gardens is laid out for
flowers, others for fruits; some standards, some
against walls. --Sir W.
6. (Bot.) The upper petal or banner of a papilionaceous
7. (Mech. & Carp.) An upright support, as one of the poles of
a scaffold; any upright in framing.
8. (Shipbuilding) An inverted knee timber placed upon the
deck instead of beneath it, with its vertical branch
turned upward from that which lies horizontally.
9. The sheth of a plow.
10. A large drinking cup. --Greene.
Standard bearer, an officer of an army, company, or troop,
who bears a standard; -- commonly called color sergeantor
color bearer; hence, the leader of any organization; as,
the standard bearer of a political party.