Online Dictionary: translate word or phrase from Indonesian to English or vice versa, and also from english to english on-line.
Hasil cari dari kata atau frase: Spherical wedge (0.00977 detik)
Found 1 items, similar to Spherical wedge.
English → English
Definition: Spherical wedge
(w[e^]j), n. [OE. wegge, AS. wecg; akin to D. wig,
wigge, OHG. wecki, G. weck a (wedge-shaped) loaf, Icel.
veggr, Dan. v[ae]gge, Sw. vigg, and probably to Lith. vagis a
peg. Cf. Wigg
1. A piece of metal, or other hard material, thick at one
end, and tapering to a thin edge at the other, used in
splitting wood, rocks, etc., in raising heavy bodies, and
the like. It is one of the six elementary machines called
the mechanical powers. See Illust. of Mechanical powers
2. (Geom.) A solid of five sides, having a rectangular base,
two rectangular or trapezoidal sides meeting in an edge,
and two triangular ends.
3. A mass of metal, especially when of a wedgelike form.
“Wedges of gold.”
4. Anything in the form of a wedge, as a body of troops drawn
up in such a form.
In warlike muster they appear,
In rhombs, and wedges, and half-moons, and wings.
5. The person whose name stands lowest on the list of the
classical tripos; -- so called after a person (Wedgewood)
who occupied this position on the first list of 1828.
[Cant, Cambridge Univ., Eng.] --C. A. Bristed.
6. (Golf) A golf club having an iron head with the face
nearly horizontal, used for lofting the golf ball at a
high angle, as when hitting the ball out of a sand trap or
. (Mach. & Carpentry) See under Fox
(Geom.), the portion of a sphere included
between two planes which intersect in a diameter.