Found 1 items, similar to Single ale.
English → English
Definition: Single ale
, a. [L. singulus, a dim. from the root in
simplex simple; cf. OE. & OF. sengle, fr. L. singulus. See
, and cf. Singular
1. One only, as distinguished from more than one; consisting
of one alone; individual; separate; as, a single star.
No single man is born with a right of controlling
the opinions of all the rest. --Pope.
2. Alone; having no companion.
Who single hast maintained,
Against revolted multitudes, the cause
Of truth. --Milton.
3. Hence, unmarried; as, a single man or woman.
Grows, lives, and dies in single blessedness.
Single chose to live, and shunned to wed. --Dryden.
4. Not doubled, twisted together, or combined with others;
as, a single thread; a single strand of a rope.
5. Performed by one person, or one on each side; as, a single
These shifts refuted, answer thy appellant, . . .
Who now defles thee thrice ti single fight.
6. Uncompounded; pure; unmixed.
Simple ideas are opposed to complex, and single to
compound. --I. Watts.
7. Not deceitful or artful; honest; sincere.
I speak it with a single heart. --Shak.
8. Simple; not wise; weak; silly. [Obs.]
He utters such single matter in so infantly a voice.
--Beau. & Fl.
, Single beer
, or Single drink
, small ale,
etc., as contrasted with double ale
, etc., which is
stronger. [Obs.] --Nares.
(Law), a written engagement, generally under
seal, for the payment of money, without a penalty.
(Lawn Tennis), a court laid out for only two
. See the Note under 4th File
. See under Bookkeeping
. See under 1st File
(Bot.), a flower with but one set of petals,
as a wild rose.
. See Illust. under Knot
(Naut.), a single rope running through a fixed