Online Dictionary: translate word or phrase from Indonesian to English or vice versa, and also from english to english on-line.
Hasil cari dari kata atau frase: Ship in ballast(0.01020 detik)
Found 1 items, similar to Ship in ballast.
English → English (gcide)
Definition: Ship in ballast
Ballast \Bal"last\ (b[a^]l"last), n. [D. ballast; akin to Dan.
baglast, ballast, OSw. barlast, Sw. ballast. The first part
is perh. the same word as E. bare, adj.; the second is last a
burden, and hence the meaning a bare, or mere, load. See
Bare, a., and Last load.]
1. (Naut.) Any heavy substance, as stone, iron, etc., put
into the hold to sink a vessel in the water to such a
depth as to prevent capsizing.
2. Any heavy matter put into the car of a balloon to give it
3. Gravel, broken stone, etc., laid in the bed of a railroad
to make it firm and solid.
4. The larger solids, as broken stone or gravel, used in
5. Fig.: That which gives, or helps to maintain, uprightness,
steadiness, and security.
It [piety] is the right ballast of prosperity.
Ballast engine, a steam engine used in excavating and for
digging and raising stones and gravel for ballast.
Ship in ballast, a ship carrying only ballast.