Online Dictionary: translate word or phrase from Indonesian to English or vice versa, and also from english to english on-line.
Hasil cari dari kata atau frase: Sconce (0.00949 detik)
Found 2 items, similar to Sconce.
English → English
n 1: a candlestick with a flat side to be hung on the wall
2: a forbidding stronghold [syn: redoubt
English → English
, n. [D. schans, OD. schantse, perhaps from OF.
esconse a hiding place, akin to esconser to hide, L.
absconsus, p. p. of abscondere. See Abscond
, and cf.
1. A fortification, or work for defense; a fort.
No sconce or fortress of his raising was ever known
either to have been forced, or yielded up, or
2. A hut for protection and shelter; a stall.
One that . . . must raise a sconce by the highway
and sell switches. --Beau. & Fl.
3. A piece of armor for the head; headpiece; helmet.
I must get a sconce for my head. --Shak.
4. Fig.: The head; the skull; also, brains; sense;
To knock him about the sconce with a dirty shovel.
5. A poll tax; a mulct or fine. --Johnson.
6. [OF. esconse a dark lantern, properly, a hiding place. See
Etymol. above.] A protection for a light; a lantern or
cased support for a candle; hence, a fixed hanging or
Tapers put into lanterns or sconces of
several-colored, oiled paper, that the wind might
not annoy them. --Evelyn.
Golden sconces hang not on the walls. --Dryden.
7. Hence, the circular tube, with a brim, in a candlestick,
into which the candle is inserted.
8. (Arch.) A squinch.
9. A fragment of a floe of ice. --Kane.
10. [Perhaps a different word.] A fixed seat or shelf. [Prov.
, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Sconced
; p. pr. & vb. n.
1. To shut up in a sconce; to imprison; to insconce. [Obs.]
Immure him, sconce him, barricade him in 't.
2. To mulct; to fine. [Obs.] --Milton.