Found 1 items, similar to Safe hit.
English → English
Definition: Safe hit
, a. [Compar. Safer
; superl. Safest
.] [OE. sauf,
F. sauf, fr. L. salvus, akin to salus health, welfare,
safety. Cf. Salute
a plant, Save
1. Free from harm, injury, or risk; untouched or unthreatened
by danger or injury; unharmed; unhurt; secure; whole; as,
safe from disease; safe from storms; safe from foes. “And
ye dwelled safe.”
--1 Sam. xii. 11.
They escaped all safe to land. --Acts xxvii.
Established in a safe, unenvied throne. --Milton.
2. Conferring safety; securing from harm; not exposing to
danger; confining securely; to be relied upon; not
dangerous; as, a safe harbor; a safe bridge, etc. “The
man of safe discretion.”
The King of heaven hath doomed
This place our dungeon, not our safe retreat.
3. Incapable of doing harm; no longer dangerous; in secure
care or custody; as, the prisoner is safe.
But Banquo's safe?
Ay, my good lord, safe in a ditch he bides. --Shak.
(Baseball), a hit which enables the batter to get
to first base even if no error is made by the other side.
, a residence where a person in hiding from the
authorities or other persons may stay without being
Syn: Secure; unendangered; sure.
1. A striking against; the collision of one body against
another; the stroke that touches anything.
So he the famed Cilician fencer praised,
And, at each hit, with wonder seems amazed.
2. A stroke of success in an enterprise, as by a fortunate
chance; as, he made a hit; esp. A performance, as a
musical recording, movie, or play, which achieved great
popularity or acclaim; also used of books or objects of
commerce which become big sellers; as, the new notebook
computer was a big hit with business travellers.
[1913 Webster +PJC]
What late he called a blessing, now was wit,
And God's good providence, a lucky hit. --Pope.
3. A peculiarly apt expression or turn of thought; a phrase
which hits the mark; as, a happy hit.
4. A game won at backgammon after the adversary has removed
some of his men. It counts less than a gammon
5. (Baseball) A striking of the ball; as, a safe hit; a foul
hit; -- sometimes used specifically for a base hit
6. An act of murder performed for hire, esp. by a
, Safe hit
, Sacrifice hit
. (Baseball) See under