Online Dictionary: translate word or phrase from Indonesian to English or vice versa, and also from english to english on-line.
Hasil cari dari kata atau frase: Rub of the green (0.00960 detik)
Found 1 items, similar to Rub of the green.
English → English
Definition: Rub of the green
, n. [Cf. W. rhwb. See Rub, v,t,]
1. The act of rubbing; friction.
2. That which rubs; that which tends to hinder or obstruct
motion or progress; hindrance; obstruction, an impediment;
especially, a difficulty or obstruction hard to overcome;
Every rub is smoothed on our way. --Shak.
To sleep, perchance to dream; ay, there's the rub.
Upon this rub, the English ambassadors thought fit
to demur. --Hayward.
One knows not, certainly, what other rubs might have
been ordained for us by a wise Providence. --W.
3. Inequality of surface, as of the ground in the game of
bowls; unevenness. --Shak.
4. Something grating to the feelings; sarcasm; joke; as, a
5. Imperfection; failing; fault. [Obs.] --Beau. & Fl.
6. A chance. [Obs.]
Flight shall leave no Greek a rub. --Chapman.
7. A stone, commonly flat, used to sharpen cutting tools; a
whetstone; -- called also rubstone
, an iron guard on a wagon body, against which a
wheel rubs when cramped too much.
Rub of the green
(Golf), anything happening to a ball in
motion, such as its being deflected or stopped by any
agency outside the match, or by the fore caddie.
[1913 Webster + Webster 1913 Suppl.]