Found 1 items, similar to Roller bolt.
English → English
Definition: Roller bolt
1. One who, or that which, rolls; especially, a cylinder,
sometimes grooved, of wood, stone, metal, etc., used in
husbandry and the arts.
2. A bandage; a fillet; properly, a long and broad bandage
used in surgery.
3. (Naut.) One of series of long, heavy waves which roll in
upon a coast, sometimes in calm weather.
4. A long, belt-formed towel, to be suspended on a rolling
cylinder; -- called also roller towel
5. (Print.) A cylinder coated with a composition made
principally of glue and molassess, with which forms of
type are inked previously to taking an impression from
them. --W. Savage.
6. A long cylinder on which something is rolled up; as, the
roller of a map.
7. A small wheel, as of a caster, a roller skate, etc.
8. (Zo["o]l.) ANy insect whose larva rolls up leaves; a leaf
roller. see Tortrix
9. [CF. F. rollier.] (Zo["o]l.) Any one of numerous species
of Old World picarian birds of the family Coraciad[ae]
The name alludes to their habit of suddenly turning over
Note: Many of the species are brilliantly colored. The common
European species (Coracias garrula
) has the head,
neck, and under parts light blue varied with green, the
scapulars chestnut brown, and the tail blue, green, and
black. The broad-billed rollers of India and Africa
belong to the genus Eurystomus
, as the oriental
roller (Eurystomus orientalis
), and the Australian
roller, or dollar bird (Eurystomus Pacificus
latter is dark brown on the head and neck, sea green on
the back, and bright blue on the throat, base of the
tail, and parts of the wings. It has a silvery-white
spot on the middle of each wing. The lilac-breasted roller
of Africa is Corcia caudata
brightly colored bird of the family Corciidae
malachite green, blue, purple-lilac, brown and
sea-green feathers from head to tail; it is a popular
sight with tourists in Africa.
[1913 Webster +PJC]
10. (Zo["o]l.) Any species of small ground snakes of the
(Zo["o]l.), any one of several species of
Madagascar rollers belonging to Atelornis
genera. They are nocturnal birds, and feed on the ground.
, the bar in a carriage to which the traces are
attached; a whiffletree. [Eng.]
, a cotton gin inn which rolls are used for
separating the seeds from the fiber.
. See under Mill
, a skate which has small wheels in the place
of the metallic runner; -- designed for use in skating
upon a smooth, hard surface, other than ice.