Found 1 items, similar to Play actor.
English → English
Definition: Play actor
1. Amusement; sport; frolic; gambols.
2. Any exercise, or series of actions, intended for amusement
or diversion; a game.
John naturally loved rough play. --Arbuthnot.
3. The act or practice of contending for victory, amusement,
or a prize, as at dice, cards, or billiards; gaming; as,
to lose a fortune in play.
4. Action; use; employment; exercise; practice; as, fair
play; sword play; a play of wit. “The next who comes in
5. A dramatic composition; a comedy or tragedy; a composition
in which characters are represented by dialogue and
A play ought to be a just image of human nature.
6. The representation or exhibition of a comedy or tragedy;
as, he attends ever play.
7. Performance on an instrument of music.
8. Motion; movement, regular or irregular; as, the play of a
wheel or piston; hence, also, room for motion; free and
easy action. “To give them play, front and rear.”
The joints are let exactly into one another, that
they have no play between them. --Moxon.
9. Hence, liberty of acting; room for enlargement or display;
scope; as, to give full play to mirth.
, an actor of dramas. --Prynne.
, a gambling debt. --Arbuthnot.
, idle amusement. [Obs.] --Bacon.
A play upon words
, the use of a word in such a way as to be
capable of double meaning; punning.
Play of colors
, prismatic variation of colors.
To bring into play
, To come into play
, to bring or come
into use or exercise.
To hold in play
, to keep occupied or employed.
I, with two more to help me,
Will hold the foe in play. --Macaulay.