Online Dictionary: translate word or phrase from Indonesian to English or vice versa, and also from english to english on-line.
Hasil cari dari kata atau frase: Phalanx(0.02118 detik)
Found 3 items, similar to Phalanx.
English → Indonesian (quick)
English → English (WordNet)
n 1: any of the bones (or phalanges) of the fingers or toes
2: any closely ranked crowd of people
3: a body of troops in close array
English → English (gcide)
Phalanx \Pha"lanx\, n.; pl. Phalanxes, L. Phalanges. [L.,
from Gr. ?.]
1. (Gr. Antiq.) A body of heavy-armed infantry formed in
ranks and files close and deep. There were several
different arrangements, the phalanx varying in depth from
four to twenty-five or more ranks of men. “In cubic
phalanx firm advanced.” --Milton.
The Grecian phalanx, moveless as a tower. --Pope.
2. Any body of troops or men formed in close array, or any
combination of people distinguished for firmness and
solidity of a union.
At present they formed a united phalanx. --Macaulay.
The sheep recumbent, and the sheep that grazed,
All huddling into phalanx, stood and gazed.
3. A Fourierite community; a phalanstery.
4. (Anat.) One of the digital bones of the hand or foot,
beyond the metacarpus or metatarsus; an internode.
5. [pl. Phalanges.] (Bot.) A group or bundle of stamens, as
in polyadelphous flowers.