Online Dictionary: translate word or phrase from Indonesian to English or vice versa, and also from english to english on-line.
Hasil cari dari kata atau frase: On height (0.01078 detik)
Found 1 items, similar to On height.
English → English
Definition: On height
(h[imac]t), n. [Written also hight
heighte, heght, heighthe, AS. he['a]h[eth]u, h[=e]h[eth]u fr.
heah high; akin to D. hoogte, Sw. h["o]jd, Dan. h["o]ide,
Icel. h[ae][eth], Goth. hauhi[thorn]a. See High
1. The condition of being high; elevated position.
Behold the height of the stars, how high they are!
2. The distance to which anything rises above its foot, above
that on which in stands, above the earth, or above the
level of the sea; altitude; the measure upward from a
surface, as the floor or the ground, of an animal,
especially of a man; stature. --Bacon.
[Goliath's] height was six cubits and a span. --1
Sam. xvii. 4.
3. Degree of latitude either north or south. [Obs.]
Guinea lieth to the north sea, in the same height as
Peru to the south. --Abp. Abbot.
4. That which is elevated; an eminence; a hill or mountain;
as, Alpine heights. --Dryden.
5. Elevation in excellence of any kind, as in power,
learning, arts; also, an advanced degree of social rank;
pre["e]minence or distinction in society; prominence.
Measure your mind's height by the shade it casts.
All would in his power hold, all make his subjects.
6. Progress toward eminence; grade; degree.
Social duties are carried to greater heights, and
enforced with stronger motives by the principles of
our religion. --Addison.
7. Utmost degree in extent; extreme limit of energy or
condition; as, the height of a fever, of passion, of
madness, of folly; the height of a tempest.
My grief was at the height before thou camest.
, aloud. [Obs.]
[He] spake these same words, all on hight.