Found 1 items, similar to Microscope stand.
English → English
Definition: Microscope stand
(st[a^]nd), n. [AS. stand. See Stand
, v. i.]
1. The act of standing.
I took my stand upon an eminence . . . to look into
their several ladings. --Spectator.
2. A halt or stop for the purpose of defense, resistance, or
opposition; as, to come to, or to make, a stand.
Vice is at stand, and at the highest flow. --Dryden.
3. A place or post where one stands; a place where one may
stand while observing or waiting for something.
I have found you out a stand most fit,
Where you may have such vantage on the duke,
He shall not pass you. --Shak.
4. A station in a city or town where carriages or wagons
stand for hire; as, a cab stand. --Dickens.
5. A raised platform or station where a race or other outdoor
spectacle may be viewed; as, the judge's or the grand
stand at a race course.
6. A small table; also, something on or in which anything may
be laid, hung, or placed upright; as, a hatstand; an
umbrella stand; a music stand.
7. The place where a witness stands to testify in court.
8. The situation of a shop, store, hotel, etc.; as, a good,
bad, or convenient stand for business. [U. S.]
9. Rank; post; station; standing.
Father, since your fortune did attain
So high a stand, I mean not to descend. --Daniel.
10. A state of perplexity or embarrassment; as, to be at a
stand what to do. --L'Estrange.
11. A young tree, usually reserved when other trees are cut;
also, a tree growing or standing upon its own root, in
distinction from one produced from a scion set in a
stock, either of the same or another kind of tree.
12. (Com.) A weight of from two hundred and fifty to three
hundred pounds, -- used in weighing pitch.
, the instrument, excepting the eyepiece,
objective, and other removable optical parts.
Stand of ammunition
, the projectile, cartridge, and sabot
Stand of arms
. (Mil.) See under Arms
Stand of colors
(Mil.), a single color, or flag. --Wilhelm
To be at a stand
, to be stationary or motionless; to be at
a standstill; hence, to be perplexed; to be embarrassed.
To make a stand
, to halt for the purpose of offering
resistance to a pursuing enemy.
Syn: Stop; halt; rest; interruption; obstruction; perplexity;
difficulty; embarrassment; hesitation.