Found 1 items, similar to In arms.
English → English
Definition: In arms
, n. pl. [OE. armes, F. arme, pl. armes, fr. L. arma,
pl., arms, orig. fittings, akin to armus shoulder, and E.
arm. See Arm
1. Instruments or weapons of offense or defense.
He lays down his arms, but not his wiles. --Milton.
Three horses and three goodly suits of arms.
2. The deeds or exploits of war; military service or science.
“Arms and the man I sing.”
3. (Law) Anything which a man takes in his hand in anger, to
strike or assault another with; an aggressive weapon.
4. (Her.) The ensigns armorial of a family, consisting of
figures and colors borne in shields, banners, etc., as
marks of dignity and distinction, and descending from
father to son.
5. (Falconry) The legs of a hawk from the thigh to the foot.
Bred to arms
, educated to the profession of a soldier.
, armed for war; in a state of hostility.
, portable firearms known as muskets, rifles,
carbines, pistols, etc.
A stand of arms
, a complete set for one soldier, as a
musket, bayonet, cartridge box and belt; frequently, the
musket and bayonet alone.
! a summons to war or battle.
, armed and equipped and in readiness for battle,
or for a military parade.
. See under Arm