Found 1 items, similar to Hydromys chrysogaster.
English → English
Definition: Hydromys chrysogaster
, n. [OE. bever, AS. beofer, befer; akin to D.
bever, OHG. bibar, G. biber, Sw. b["a]fver, Dan. b[ae]ver,
Lith. bebru, Russ. bobr', Gael. beabhar, Corn. befer, L.
fiber, and Skr. babhrus large ichneumon; also as an adj.,
brown, the animal being probably named from its color.
[root]253. See Brown
1. (Zo["o]l.) An amphibious rodent, of the genus Castor
Note: It has palmated hind feet, and a broad, flat tail. It
is remarkable for its ingenuity in constructing its
lodges or “houses,”
and dams across streams. It is
valued for its fur, and for the material called
, obtained from two small bags in the groin of
the animal. The European species is Castor fiber
the American is generally considered a variety of this,
although sometimes called Castor Canadensis
2. The fur of the beaver.
3. A hat, formerly made of the fur of the beaver, but now
usually of silk.
A brown beaver slouched over his eyes. --Prescott.
4. Beaver cloth, a heavy felted woolen cloth, used chiefly
for making overcoats.
5. A man's beard.
6. The hair on a woman's pubic area; -- vulgar. [vulgar
7. A woman; -- vulgar and offensive. [vulgar slang]
8. A person who works enthusiastically and diligently; --
used especially in the phrase eager beaver
(Zo["o]l.), an aquatic ratlike quadruped of
Tasmania (Hydromys chrysogaster
, the furry skin of the beaver.
. See under 1st Bank