Found 1 items, similar to Flake white.
English → English
Definition: Flake white
1. The color of pure snow; one of the natural colors of
bodies, yet not strictly a color, but a composition of all
colors; the opposite of black; whiteness. See the Note
, n., 1.
Finely attired in a of white. --Shak.
2. Something having the color of snow; something white, or
nearly so; as, the white of the eye.
3. Specifically, the central part of the butt in archery,
which was formerly painted white; the center of a mark at
which a missile is shot.
'T was I won the wager, though you hit the white.
4. A person with a white skin; a member of the white, or
Caucasian, races of men.
5. A white pigment; as, Venice white.
6. (Zo["o]l.) Any one of numerous species of butterflies
belonging to Pieris
, and allied genera in which the
color is usually white. See Cabbage butterfly
Black and white
. See under Black
, Paris white
, etc. See under Flack
White of a seed
(Bot.), the albumen. See Albumen
White of egg
, the viscous pellucid fluid which surrounds
the yolk in an egg, particularly in the egg of a fowl. In
a hen's egg it is alkaline, and contains about 86 per cent
of water and 14 per cent of solid matter, the greater
portion of which is egg albumin. It likewise contains a
small amount of globulin, and traces of fats and sugar,
with some inorganic matter. Heated above 60[deg] C. it
coagulates to a solid mass, owing to the albumin which it
White of the eye
(Anat.), the white part of the ball of the
eye surrounding the transparent cornea.
(fl[=a]k), n. [Cf. Icel. flakna to flake off,
split, flagna to flake off, Sw. flaga flaw, flake, flake
plate, Dan. flage snowflake. Cf. Flag
a flat stone.]
1. A loose filmy mass or a thin chiplike layer of anything; a
film; flock; lamina; layer; scale; as, a flake of snow,
tallow, or fish. “Lottle flakes of scurf.”
Great flakes of ice encompassing our boat. --Evelyn.
2. A little particle of lighted or incandescent matter,
darted from a fire; a flash.
With flakes of ruddy fire. --Somerville.
3. (Bot.) A sort of carnation with only two colors in the
flower, the petals having large stripes.
4. a person who behaves strangely; a flaky person.
(Arch[ae]ol.), a cutting instrument used by
savage tribes, made of a flake or chip of hard stone.
, the cooling tub or vessel of a still worm.
(a) The purest white lead, in the form of flakes or
(b) The trisnitrate of bismuth. --Ure.