Online Dictionary: translate word or phrase from Indonesian to English or vice versa, and also from english to english on-line.
Hasil cari dari kata atau frase: Constrain(0.01901 detik)
Found 3 items, similar to Constrain.
English → Indonesian (quick)
English → English (WordNet)
v 1: hold back [syn: restrain, encumber, cumber]
2: restrict; “Tighten the rules”; “stiffen the regulations”
[syn: stiffen, tighten, tighten up]
English → English (gcide)
Constrain \Con*strain"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Constrained; p.
pr. & vb. n. Constraining.] [OF. constraindre, F.
contrainde, L. constringere; con- + stringere to draw tight.
See Strain, and. cf. Constrict, Constringe.]
1. To secure by bonds; to chain; to bond or confine; to hold
tightly; to constringe.
He binds in chains
The drowsy prophet, and his limbs constrains.
When winter frosts constrain the fields with cold.
2. To bring into a narrow compass; to compress.
How the strait stays the slender waist constrain.
3. To hold back by force; to restrain; to repress.
My sire in caves constrains the winds. --Dryden.
4. To compel; to force; to necessitate; to oblige.
The love of Christ constraineth us. --2. Cor. v.
I was constrained to appeal unto C[ae]sar. --Acts
5. To violate; to ravish. [Obs.] --Shak.
6. To produce in such a manner as to give an unnatural
effect; as, a constrained voice.
Syn: To compel; force; drive; impel; urge; press.