Online Dictionary: translate word or phrase from Indonesian to English or vice versa, and also from english to english on-line.
Hasil cari dari kata atau frase: Chestnut tree(0.01058 detik)
Found 2 items, similar to Chestnut tree.
English → English (WordNet)
Definition: chestnut tree
n : any of several attractive deciduous trees yellow-brown in
autumn; yield a hard wood and edible nuts in a prickly
bur [syn: chestnut]
English → English (gcide)
Definition: Chestnut tree
Chestnut \Chest"nut\, n. [For chesten-nut; OE. chestein,
chesten, chastein, chestnut, fr. AS. cisten in cistenbe['a]m
chestnut tree, influenced by OF. chastaigne, F. ch[^a]taigne,
both the AS. and the F. words coming from L. castanea a
chestnut, Gr. ?, fr. ? a city of Pontus, where chestnut trees
grew in abundance, and whence they were introduced into
Europe. Cf. Castanets.]
1. (Bot.) The edible nut of a forest tree (Castanea vesce)
of Europe and America. Commonly two or more of the nuts
grow in a prickly bur.
2. The tree itself, or its light, coarse-grained timber, used
for ornamental work, furniture, etc.
3. A bright brown color, like that of the nut.
4. The horse chestnut (often so used in England).
5. One of the round, or oval, horny plates on the inner sides
of the legs of the horse, and allied animals.
6. An old joke or story. [Slang]
Chestnut tree, a tree that bears chestnuts.