Found 2 items, similar to Casting vote.
English → English
Definition: casting vote
n : the deciding vote cast by the presiding officer to resolve a
English → English
Definition: Casting vote
, n. [L. votum a vow, wish, will, fr. vovere, votum,
to vow: cf. F. vote. See Vow
1. An ardent wish or desire; a vow; a prayer. [Obs.]
2. A wish, choice, or opinion, of a person or a body of
persons, expressed in some received and authorized way;
the expression of a wish, desire, will, preference, or
choice, in regard to any measure proposed, in which the
person voting has an interest in common with others,
either in electing a person to office, or in passing laws,
rules, regulations, etc.; suffrage.
3. That by means of which will or preference is expressed in
elections, or in deciding propositions; voice; a ballot; a
ticket; as, a written vote.
The freeman casting with unpurchased hand
The vote that shakes the turrets of the land.
4. Expression of judgment or will by a majority; legal
decision by some expression of the minds of a number; as,
the vote was unanimous; a vote of confidence.
5. Votes, collectively; as, the Tory vote; the labor vote.
, Cumulative vote
, etc. See under Casting
1. The act of one who casts or throws, as in fishing.
2. The act or process of making casts or impressions, or of
shaping metal or plaster in a mold; the act or the process
of pouring molten metal into a mold.
3. That which is cast in a mold; esp. the mass of metal so
cast; as, a casting in iron; bronze casting.
4. The warping of a board. --Brande & C.
5. The act of casting off, or that which is cast off, as
skin, feathers, excrement, etc.
Casting of draperies
, the proper distribution of the folds
of garments, in painting and sculpture.
(Fishing), the leader; also, sometimes applied
to the long reel line.
, a net which is cast and drawn, in distinction
from a net that is set and left.
, Casting vote
, the decisive vote of a
presiding officer, when the votes of the assembly or house
are equally divided. “When there was an equal vote, the
governor had the casting voice.”
, a weight that turns a balance when exactly