Online Dictionary: translate word or phrase from Indonesian to English or vice versa, and also from english to english on-line.
Hasil cari dari kata atau frase: Brake beam(0.00869 detik)
Found 1 items, similar to Brake beam.
English → English (gcide)
Definition: Brake beam
Brake \Brake\ (br[=a]k), n. [OE. brake; cf. LG. brake an
instrument for breaking flax, G. breche, fr. the root of E.
break. See Break, v. t., and cf. Breach.]
1. An instrument or machine to break or bruise the woody part
of flax or hemp so that it may be separated from the
2. An extended handle by means of which a number of men can
unite in working a pump, as in a fire engine.
3. A baker's kneading though. --Johnson.
4. A sharp bit or snaffle.
Pampered jades . . . which need nor break nor bit.
5. A frame for confining a refractory horse while the smith
is shoeing him; also, an inclosure to restrain cattle,
A horse . . . which Philip had bought . . . and
because of his fierceness kept him within a brake of
iron bars. --J. Brende.
6. That part of a carriage, as of a movable battery, or
engine, which enables it to turn.
7. (Mil.) An ancient engine of war analogous to the crossbow
8. (Agric.) A large, heavy harrow for breaking clods after
plowing; a drag.
9. A piece of mechanism for retarding or stopping motion by
friction, as of a carriage or railway car, by the pressure
of rubbers against the wheels, or of clogs or ratchets
against the track or roadway, or of a pivoted lever
against a wheel or drum in a machine.
10. (Engin.) An apparatus for testing the power of a steam
engine, or other motor, by weighing the amount of
friction that the motor will overcome; a friction brake.
11. A cart or carriage without a body, used in breaking in
12. An ancient instrument of torture. --Holinshed.
Air brake. See Air brake, in the Vocabulary.
Brake beam or Brake bar, the beam that connects the brake
blocks of opposite wheels.
(a) The part of a brake holding the brake shoe.
(b) A brake shoe.
Brake shoe or Brake rubber, the part of a brake against
which the wheel rubs.
Brake wheel, a wheel on the platform or top of a car by
which brakes are operated.
Continuous brake . See under Continuous.