Online Dictionary: translate word or phrase from Indonesian to English or vice versa, and also from english to english on-line.
Hasil cari dari kata atau frase: Bowsprit shrouds(0.00986 detik)
Found 1 items, similar to Bowsprit shrouds.
English → English (gcide)
Definition: Bowsprit shrouds
Shroud \Shroud\ (shroud), n. [OE. shroud, shrud, schrud, AS.
scr[=u]d a garment, clothing; akin to Icel. skru[eth] the
shrouds of a ship, furniture of a church, a kind of stuff,
Sw. skrud dress, attire, and E. shred. See Shred, and cf.
1. That which clothes, covers, conceals, or protects; a
garment. --Piers Plowman.
Swaddled, as new born, in sable shrouds. --Sandys.
2. Especially, the dress for the dead; a winding sheet. “A
dead man in his shroud.” --Shak.
3. That which covers or shelters like a shroud.
Jura answers through her misty shroud. --Byron.
4. A covered place used as a retreat or shelter, as a cave or
den; also, a vault or crypt. [Obs.]
The shroud to which he won
His fair-eyed oxen. --Chapman.
A vault, or shroud, as under a church. --Withals.
5. The branching top of a tree; foliage. [R.]
The Assyrian wad a cedar in Lebanon, with fair
branches and with a shadowing shroad. --Ezek. xxxi.
6. pl. (Naut.) A set of ropes serving as stays to support the
masts. The lower shrouds are secured to the sides of
vessels by heavy iron bolts and are passed around the head
of the lower masts.
7. (Mach.) One of the two annular plates at the periphery of
a water wheel, which form the sides of the buckets; a
Bowsprit shrouds (Naut.), ropes extending from the head of
the bowsprit to the sides of the vessel.
Futtock shrouds (Naut.), iron rods connecting the topmast
rigging with the lower rigging, passing over the edge of
(a) (Naut.) An iron plate extending from the dead-eyes to
the ship's side. --Ham. Nav. Encyc.
(b) (Mach.) A shroud. See def. 7, above.