Online Dictionary: translate word or phrase from Indonesian to English or vice versa, and also from english to english on-line.
Hasil cari dari kata atau frase: Bounty jumper(0.00882 detik)
Found 1 items, similar to Bounty jumper.
English → English (gcide)
Definition: Bounty jumper
jumper \jump"er\ (j[u^]mp"[~e]r), n.
1. One who, or that which, jumps.
2. A long drilling tool used by masons and quarrymen.
3. A rude kind of sleigh; -- usually, a simple box on runners
which are in one piece with the poles that form the
thills. [U.S.] --J. F. Cooper.
4. (Zo["o]l.) The larva of the cheese fly. See Cheese fly,
5. (Eccl.) A name applied in the 18th century to certain
Calvinistic Methodists in Wales whose worship was
characterized by violent convulsions.
6. (Horology) spring to impel the star wheel, also a pawl to
lock fast a wheel, in a repeating timepiece.
Baby jumper. See in the Vocabulary.
Bounty jumper. See under Bounty.
Bounty \Boun"ty\, n.; pl. Bounties. [OE. bounte goodness,
kindness, F. bont['e], fr. L. bonitas, fr. bonus good, for
older duonus; cf. Skr. duvas honor, respect.]
1. Goodness, kindness; virtue; worth. [Obs.]
Nature set in her at once beauty with bounty.
2. Liberality in bestowing gifts or favors; gracious or
liberal giving; generosity; munificence.
My bounty is as boundless as the sea. --Shak.
3. That which is given generously or liberally. “Thy morning
4. A premium offered or given to induce men to enlist into
the public service; or to encourage any branch of
industry, as husbandry or manufactures.
Bounty jumper, one who, during the latter part of the Civil
War, enlisted in the United States service, and deserted
as soon as possible after receiving the bounty. [Collog.]
Queen Anne's bounty (Eng. Hist.), a provision made in Queen
Anne's reign for augmenting poor clerical livings.
Syn: Munificence; generosity; beneficence.